[Air-L] Please Cite Women Academics

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Fri Feb 26 01:42:25 PST 2016

Janet Sternberg’s point that people don’t search carefully and therefore miss key references means we need to think about how to make our research searchable - we need to use the most likely search terms in titles and abstracts of our publications.

The first time I was recommended to do this was in 2014, and the publisher said that deliberate use of likely search terms makes a huge difference in how many people actually find books and book chapters. This is a rather different way of thinking about how to title academic work than we are used to, but one we should definitely be aware of. Of course, we should also teach our students to search better, using related terms and seeing what is referenced by other scholars on the topic.

Also: we should all deliberately make sure to cite women and people of colour in all our work. For the last few years, I have carefully looked at my references as I write, and if there isn’t a pretty even gender balance, I search harder to find women writing about the topic. I use Google Scholar most, but I also ask other women in related areas if they know of other women I should be aware of. I have ALWAYS found more women when I specifically search, and they are usually doing fabulous stuff that has been really helpful to my own work. And often they do not pop up when you first start to explore an area. Not digging deeper means missing out on really valuable work.

Jill

Jill Walker Rettberg
Professor of Digital Culture
Dept of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
University of Bergen

Blog - http://jilltxt.net
Twitter - http://twitter.com/jilltxt
My book "Seeing Ourselves Through Technology: How We Use Selfies, Blogs and Wearable Devices to See and Shape Ourselves" is out on Palgrave as an open access publication - buy it in print or download it for free!
http://jilltxt.net/books