[Air-L] Beyond the hashtags: #Ferguson, #Blacklivesmatter, and the online struggle for offline justice

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 09:02:53 PST 2016

Colleagues,

My coauthors and I have just released a report on the Black Lives Matter
movement's use of social media. It is freely available and can be
downloaded here: http://www.cmsimpact.org/blmreport . The report was
funded by a grant from the Spencer Foundation.

This report is the culmination of over a year's worth of planning, grant
writing, and research. It is based on an analysis of over 40 million
tweets, over 100,000 hyperlinks, and 40 participant interviews. If
you're interested in Black Lives Matter, social media research, and/or
data science, I hope you'll give it a look.

As lead author, I'd be happy to chat about this if you have any
questions. Happy leap day, ~DEEN

--
Deen Freelon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor