[Air-L] Internet & social media curriculum and materials for first-year university students

Kevin R. Guidry krguidry at mistakengoal.com
Mon Feb 29 09:57:31 PST 2016

Colleagues,

This is a little bit different from the research- and
publication-focused questions that are often asked here but it may be
interesting to some of you:  If you could design a few relatively short
exercises focused on "responsible use of the internet and other social
media" for all (18-21 year old) undergraduate students at a university,
what would you do?

I'm on an ad hoc committee formed by my university's Faculty Senate to
examine and revise the First-Year Seminar (FYS) courses that all
University of Delaware undergraduate students are required to take.  One
of the specific items that the senate has mandated be included in every
FYS course is "responsible use of the internet and other social media"
so we have to figure out how faculty from any discipline can responsibly
and effectively address this topic with first-year students.  We've
drafted the following student learning outcomes:

1. Describe principles and specific examples of ways the Internet and
social media can be used to both help and harm others
2. Demonstrate effective ways to responsibly use social media to
positively engage with others and portray oneself with authenticity

There are many other important topics and skills addressed in these
courses so the time available to focus on these specific outcomes is
limited.  I think that if we aim to keep our recommended curricula to
less than 60 minutes of in-class time then the faculty who teach these
courses are very likely to adopt our curricula and materials.

Given the immense variations in resources, expertise, interest, and
nearly everything else across the ~100 sections of the courses that
fulfill this requirement, creating curricula and materials that address
these outcomes is quite daunting.  However, it's also very exciting
given the potential impact since this would reach nearly all of the
approximately 18,000 undergrad students at our university.

We're very focused on basing our curricula and materials on empirical
knowledge rather than personal opinion or experience. I'd very much
appreciate any specific or general thoughts, recommendations, or
resources you'd be willing to share!

Kevin