[Air-L] JeDEM Special Issue: Open and Visual Access to Information

Judith Schoßböck Judith.Schossboeck at donau-uni.ac.at
Wed Feb 17 06:10:27 PST 2016

Dear AIR List Readers,

we would like to draw your attention to our new call for papers for a
special issue on Open and Visual Access to Information of JeDEM,
eJournal for eDemocracy and Open Government. JeDEM is an Open Access
Journal and publishes twice a year.
JeDEM publishes ongoing and completed research, case studies and
project descriptions  that are selected after a rigorous blind review by
experts in the field. The journal is indexed with EBSCO, DOAJ, Google
scholar, and the Public Knowledge Project metadata harvester.

More information about JeDEM and the call:
http://jedem.org/index.php/jedem/announcement/view/24

Submission Deadline is June 10th, 2016.

If you have any questions please do not hesistate to contact us.
Best regards,
Judith Schossböck
Managing Editor

SPECIAL ISSUE 1/2016: OPEN AND VISUAL ACCESS TO INFORMATION
Guest Editors
Dimitris Gouscos, Department of Communication and Media Studies,
University of Athens
Thomas J. Lampoltshammer, Department for E-Governance and
Administration, Danube University Krems
Michael Leitner, Department of Geography and Anthropology, Louisiana
State University

In our current era, data-driven approaches influence all aspects of
daily life. The fast and effective handling of these data is a crucial
point of keeping our society working. Yet, the sheer amount of data
being produced even at this very moment is often to big to be
interpreted and understood in a correct and timely fashion. It is this
complexity and criticality that renders the usability and accessibility
of data and the inherent information even more important. This becomes
even more obvious, when taking into account that most of today’s
approaches to data analytics and interpretation focus on experts and
their requirements rather than on non-experts. This does not only lead
to a limitation regarding the usefulness of data but also critically
impacts the foundations of our society regarding open access to data and
information - data democracy so to say.
At the same time, citizens are demanding more access to information and
transparency regarding their data handling and want to use new data
based services. Yet, only opening up data and providing tools to
interact with them does not automatically lead to new knowledge or
understanding. Efforts to open up the meaning of information by
introducing new access layers, such as visual representations, as an
easier interface to hardly readable texts and numbers, are also gaining
in popularity. Still, these efforts are risking to introduce new
problems as well: opening up information with a multitude of different
technologies can create a new tower of Babel, whereas visualizing
information with different techniques is inevitably highlighting certain
parts or meanings of this information and low-lighting, so to say,
others.
As experience accumulates, it becomes clear that open and/or visual
access to information cannot effectively be treated as an add-on, which
comes of interest only after this information has been produced. On the
contrary, open/visual access requirements ideally need to pervade the
entire information life-cycle, from final dissemination up to initial
design. In this respect, design of information emerges as an issue in
its own right, especially under the need to guide design processes by
provisions for the openness and visualizability of the information
finally produced. This need, at the same time, creates important echos
for the eventual (re)design of large corpora of information that already
exist.
In this context, the special issue on Open and Visual Access to
Information of the JeDEM Journal for eDemocracy invites submissions
dedicated, but not limited to, the following topics:
OPEN DATA ANALYTICS
Cloud and network analytics
Predictive analytics
Real-time analytics
Monitoring and measurements of ICT infrastructures
Distributed data analytics architectures
Theory and algorithms for scalable descriptive statistical modeling
Theory and algorithms of scalable predictive statistical modeling
Scalable analytics techniques for spatio-temporal data
Scalable data analytics algorithms in large graphs
Quality of open data and standards
Institutionalisation of open data and project descriptions

OPEN DATA VISUALIZATION
Emerging techniques, forms and tools for information visualization
>From expert to crowd-sourced visualizations of information
Digital tools for engaging public input
Cloud computing as an infrastructure for information visualization
Data design for open and visual access
Visual communication and graphic design
Data visualization in journalism and citizen communication
Case studies of open data visualization

OPEN ACCESS TO LEGAL INFORMATION
>From official legal sources to crowd-sourced legal information
Standardization efforts for open legal information and legal data
Emerging techniques for legal information visualization
Legal information design for open and visual access
New sources of legal information: social media, smart phones, sensors,
IoT
Taxonomic approaches to legal information, from texts to (big) data
Open access to legal information as a catalyst for citizen empowerment
Open access to legal information as an asset for entrepreneurship

Author guidelines
Length of paper: 7,500-12,000 words, all drafts have to be typed
double-spaced, the format has to be Word for processing reasons.
JeDEM encourages scientific papers as well as project descriptions and
reflections. Scientific papers follow a double-blind peer review
process. More Guidelines for authors and template can be found here
( http://jedem.org/index.php/jedem/about/submissions#authorGuidelines)
.
Submission deadline: 10 June 2016
End of peer review: 10 July 2016