[Air-L] Job position - lecturer in English and New Media Studies - Auckland NEW ZEALAND - closes 11 July 2016

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Thu Jul 7 21:10:52 PDT 2016

Dear AOIR community -

Only a few days left to apply for this position as lecturer in English and New Media Studies at Auckland University of Technology's School of Language and Culture in New Zealand.

The full job advertisement can be found here:  https://careers.aut.ac.nz/jobdetails?ajid=iGJc9

I've excerpted some of the details on behalf of our school below, but please note that applications close on July 11, 2016..

Philippa Smith
(Senior Lecturer, School Language & Culture, AUT)

We are looking for a lecturer in English and New Media Studies to join our team. The position will involve teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses as well as programme development. Our BA English and New Media Studies was one of the first undergraduate programmes internationally to integrate a new media focus into the disciplinary area of English Studies, which traditionally encompasses a range of applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, literature, and culture papers. Graduates of this programme are now successfully finding employment in the many emergent positions resulting from the increasingly central role of new media and digital literacies in everyday communicative and cultural practices.
In addition, supervision of research students (Masters and PhD) will be expected. In 2017 we will be offering a Masters in English and New Media Studies and this will provide an opportunity to play an active role in developing and lecturing on this programme
Candidates also need to have knowledge in the following areas:

  *   New/social media history and theory (including issues of surveillance and privacy)
  *   New/social media communication practices (including social media virality)
  *   Methods for researching new/social media communication (including new/social media analytics and ethics of social media research)

Ideally we would like our successful applicant to start between October and December 2016 with a view to beginning lecturing in semester one, March 2017.

Enquiries of an academic nature may be made by contacting Head of School, Associate Professor Sharon Harvey Sharon.harvey at aut.ac.nz<mailto:Sharon.harvey at aut.ac.nz>  but please read the full job description at https://careers.aut.ac.nz/jobdetails?ajid=iGJc9