[Air-L] suggestions for movies on communication technology and social change

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 00:21:58 PDT 2016

Thanks much for this, Sharon -
plus a quick addendum: there's  also a more recent German film on these
events, from 2005, in English, "Sophie Scholl: The Last Days" - <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl_%E2%80%93_The_Final_Days>.  It
likewise shows the role of a mimeograph and simple post for distributing
letters of dissent - highlighted by the Nazi recognition of the dangers
thereof, such that being in possession of too many stamps was grounds for
suspicion.  Also a very powerful film.
Nicely enough, the White Rose movement is memorialized at the entrance of
the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich with bronze replicas of some of
the letters plus photographs of some of the leaders, laid on the ground as
if scattered - as the last leaflets were.
Words matter. Media matter. Matter matters.

best,
- charles

--
Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Editor, The Journal of Media Innovations
<https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/TJMI/>

Postboks 1093
Blindern 0317
Oslo, Norway