[Air-L] Gender in surveys/tests

Devayani Tirthali devayani.tirthali at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 12:36:48 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have always followed the rule of thumb to not ask the demographic
questions - gender, race/ethnicity - in the beginning of the survey or a
test because it affects how people answer the questions.

Can somebody please share some research that supports this? I remember
reading research about how test scores are affected when students are
reminded about their gender and gender related stereotype. I also remember
reading a thread on air listserv where somebody pointed out not to ask
gender questions in the beginning of the survey. But cannot find any of the
papers or that email thread. If

Can anybody share literature that offers reason for not asking gender
question in the beginning of the survey?

Thanks,
Devayani