[Air-L] Facebook and Twitter user recruitment?

Galen Panger gpanger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:12:23 PDT 2016

Hi all, for my dissertation I'm recruiting separate samples of Twitter and
Facebook users for a multi-part study (see http://facebookstudy.berkeley.edu
and http://twitterstudy.berkeley.edu). I'm having some luck with Twitter
ads, and with my university's subject pool for Facebook, but am wondering
if folks here might have ideas for recruiting more participants to help put
me over the top (I'm hoping to end with usable samples of over 300 each).

I'm paying about $25 (plus a $500 Apple Gift Card drawing) for a total time
of around 90 minutes, with the catch that the second part of the study
involves downloading and using an app, which is a step that results in a
fair amount of drop-off (despite my follow-up efforts, which only help on
the margin). I've tried Mechanical Turk but there's too much drop-off.
Craigslist also appears to be taking down anything that's not a
face-to-face transaction, and my study is entirely online/Qualtrics/app.
Facebook ads haven't worked at all for recruitment for me.

Anyway -- if your university subject pool is open to outsiders, or if you
have a tip that's worked for you in the past, I'm all ears for any ideas!

Sincerely,
Galen

--
galen.website