[Air-L] Facebook and Twitter user recruitment?

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Sat Jul 16 08:31:24 PDT 2016

Hi Galen and AoIR,

Yes, I've taken down your seeking sample request from
http://worlduniversityandschool.blogspot.com/2016/07/minutes-for-wuass-july-9-2016-monthly.html.

I doubt that you'll get more than a few interested people from WUaS's
monthly business meeting email list, if that, but if you want to get
hundreds of people in your study, even a few could help. I thought
letting Universtians know might increase your sample size, if only a
little. ~90% of the people on the list are in the US I'd guess.

How many people are on the the AoIR list? I'm interested for future
WUaS studies.

In an online study I did of online "senses of place" in 2004 at the
University of Edinburgh, I reached out directly to individuals who had
signed the National Trust for Scotland's St. Kilda guest book for
visiting online this island archipelago off the Hebrides. I got a small
sample from this. Reaching out individually to Twitter and FB users
might be an useful approach, and possibly via email over text messaging.
I'm happy to share my St. Kilda paper with you or others on the AoIR
list, if that would be helpful.

AoIR, as academic researchers, how best to build online samples
numbering in the hundreds or even around 1000+ for  statistically
significant N sample sizes for social media studies - and in multiple
languages (re World University and School's eventual sample
populations)? Shall we start a GDoc syllabus for this?

Getting statistically significant online sample sizes of respondents
isn't easy, I found as long ago as 2003-2004 in my St. Kilda in Scotland
- I'm interested in learning further about how you proceed Galen, and
what other AoIRers have done.

- Scott

--
- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President