[Air-L] Post-doctoral fellowship in game studies and design

Mia Consalvo mconsalvo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:02:08 PDT 2016

hi all,

Forgive the cross-postings -  I am recruiting for a post-doctoral fellow to
work with me at Concordia University over the next two years in *Game
Studies and Design.* Here's the position description and a link to more
information. Also feel free to email me for more details:

The Postdoctoral Fellow in Game Studies and Design will play a central role
in launching two newly funded research projects that investigate game
culture and game creation, and take as a central objective investigating
new forms of play and new types of game mechanics.

Streaming @ the Margins of Play studies live streaming of videogame play
via Twitch.tv. It will investigate how the play practices of women, people
of colour, older and LGBTQ individuals are reconfiguring our understanding
of gameplay. This project investigates how such play is being (re)built as
a site for entertainment, for leisure, and for community building.

The research-creation project Playing with Ambiguity: A Game Exploring
Moral Dilemmas and Player Agency investigates how better game design
conventions can be developed to persuade individuals to explore morally
ambiguous situations through play, to understand complex societal issues as
well as individual actions that seem morally suspect.

The PDF will work with Dr. Consalvo at the mLab and the Technoculture, Art
and Games (TAG) Centre, which has 15 faculty members and 30 graduate
students from departments across arts and science, fine arts and
engineering. The Centre has the single largest concentration of work of
this kind in Canada. TAG’s faculty and students have a commitment to
developing collaborative projects and mentoring in an open concept
studio/lab based environment.
Academic qualifications required

PhD in Communication Studies, English, Media Studies or a related field,
with experience in qualitative methods. In addition to helping with the
management of these projects, the PDF should have an independent research
program that focuses either on research about live streaming of gameplay or
a focus related to players, morality and ethics, and digital gameplay.
Eligibility requirements

   - Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at
   Concordia
   - Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their
   PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia
   graduates may be considered
   - Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria
   outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
   <http://www.concordia.ca/content/dam/common/docs/policies/official-policies/VPRGS-4.pdf>

http://www.concordia.ca/research/students-and-postdocs/postdoctoral-fellows/horizon-postdoctoral-fellowships/1003.html

--
Mia Consalvo, Ph.D.
Professor and Canada Research Chair in Game Studies & Design

Concordia University
7141 Sherbrooke Street West
CJ Bldg, 4.407
Montreal, Quebec