[Air-L] Twitter Data Office Hours for #AoIR2016 Berlin

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Sat Jul 9 05:05:32 PDT 2016

I strongly encourage the meetings. I have been talking, as a vendor with
academic clients, to Gnip & Twitter for five years about academic use
cases. There is general good will toward the spirit and intent of academic
work at Twitter, but there are also longstanding misunderstandings and
disagreements about how data is properly collected, stored, copied, shared,
and reported under the Twitter Terms of Service (
https://twitter.com/tos?lang=en).

Some key topics of interest:

- Replication datasets (Availability via rehydration versus copies, the
cost, and related rights issues)
- Free versus premium data services (Who should pay? The researcher, chair,
Dean, VP for Research, the library, NSF?)
- Classroom and research fair use cases (scope of use/access to the data
collected, secondary research cases)
- Researcher responsibility with respect to deleted Tweets

The last one is the hardest technical and practical issue, but it may be
the most urgent if the "right to be forgotten" is going to be upheld in a
meaningful manner in the context of Twitter data. Most researchers want to
know how they can get, store, and analyze more and more Twitter data. No
one has ever asked me how to purge Tweets that the author has deleted in
the time since the data was collected. There is no easy way to do this
currently, but there should be.

There are other issues. For example, it is my understanding that academia
is not considered an "industry" by Twitter, which I find unusual given the
scope and size of the research enterprise. If Twitter does not think
academia is an industry, then it must have some special status. Perhaps
this special status could be clarified and libraries could start
subscribing whole campuses to Twitter in much the same way they do
LexisNexis.

I would support moving Twitter data availability from the highly
gifted/funded research teams and organizations to a more ubiquitous "data
utility" status. There are haves and have nots in the academic Twitter data
world. Further, Twitter sells premium data to academics at the same rate it
does corporate customers. Is there not a case to be made for educational
pricing?

~Stu

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter