[Air-L] suggestions for movies on communication technology andsocial change

Michelle C Forelle mcforelle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:03:02 PDT 2016

Broadcast communication stuff:

   - *Wag the Dog* (1997) - black comedy about fake news (Dustin Hoffman!)
   - *Our Brand is Crisis* (2005) - documentary about importing US
   political consultants to muck up a Bolivian election (also a 2015
   fictionalized version with Sandra Bullock)
   - *Money Monster* (2016, might not be on Netflix yet) - thriller about
   financial reporting and populist frustration (female director: Jodie
   Foster!)
   - *The King of Comedy* (1983) - Robert de Niro dark comedy about
   parasocial relationships
   - *Frequency* (2000) - radio signals allow for time travel communication
   - *Poltergeist* (1982) - the scary is coming from within the TV!!!
   - *Pirate Radio* (2009) - self-explanatory, kinda. British rogue radio
   DJs in the late 1960s
   - *Good Night, and Good Luck* (2005) - about the conflict between
   journalist Edward R. Murrow and Sen. Joseph McCarthy (so good!)
   - *Bamboozled *(2000) - a Spike Lee satire about a modern televised
   minstrel show
   - *Nightcrawler* (2014) - about ethics in journalism? (neo-noir thriller
   about the lengths Jake Gyllenhaal will go for a scoop)

PhD student
USC Annenberg School of Communication
@mcforelle on the tweet machine
(407) 864-2225