[Air-L] Ethical challenges in qualitative research using Facebook

Unger, Johann j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jul 27 06:52:37 PDT 2016

Dear Emily,

While it is a little basic for PhD-level research, Chapter 4 in the book "Researching Language and Social Media" (by Ruth Page, David Barton, myself and Michele Zappavigna) summarises the various ethical issues involved from a linguist's perspective and may include some useful references.

You may also be interested in an ongoing (but very intermittent) research project I have been running on Facebook which solves the issue of consent by inviting participants to contribute to a Facebook group set up expressly for the research project. This is reported in Majid KhosraviNik's & my chapter in the latest (3rd) edition of "Methods of Critical Discourse Studies".

Best of luck with your project - it's really not an easy set of issues to resolve, and as others have commented it is good to see it being taken much more seriously than is often the case.

Johnny.

Dr J W Unger
Lecturer and Academic Director of Summer Programmes
Department of Linguistics and English Language
Lancaster University
LA1 4YL

e-mail: j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk>
tel: +44 1524 592591<tel:+44%201524%20592591>
Follow me on Twitter @johnnyunger<http://twitter.com/#!/johnnyunger>