[Air-L] agency / neutrality of algorithms

Paul Henman p.henman at uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 7 19:31:36 PDT 2016

Hi list

I've really liked the discussion/posts on neutrality of algorithms.

In respond to the technical question, I suggest that it is also important to look a little broader. The recent focus on 'algorithms' as a named topic is preceded by previous discussion the affordances of computer programming.  See for example the early work by Weizenbaum (1976), Computer power and human reason.  Rather than capture the affordances of specific algorithms, I tried to capture the affordances in programming in Henman (1995) 'The role of computers in texturing micro-social environments' Journal of Sociology/Australian and New Zealand Journal of sociology, and Kent (1978) Data and reality, captured aspects of how databases structure the world in their constructing of database items and categories, a topic that remains pertinent to this day.  Those observations also relate nicely to the work on sociology of standards and categories (see Bowker and Starr, Soring things out; Busch, standards).

Another key point made by Weizenbaum, which I reiterated in Henman (2002) "Computer modeling and the politics of greenhouse gas policy in Australia." Social science computer review, is that computer code, models and algorithms are very much a black box, and as such embed hard to contest operations of power.

These observations can also be broadened to literature on the politics of technologies - see Langdon Winner's work, and particularly his classic, Do artefacts have politics.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul

Paul Henman
Associate Professor of Social Policy and Sociology
Head of Sociology
Program Director, BSocSci
School of Social Science
University of Queensland  QLD  4072