[Air-L] Music Trends

Craig Hamilton Craig.Hamilton at bcu.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 01:36:59 PDT 2016

Hi Tatiana,

(Hi also to the group, I’ve recently joined)

This is the area I’m looking at in my PhD at BCU. I’m looking at the experience of music listeners with a particular focus on digital environments and algorithmic curation. I’m about to go away for the weekend with my family, but if you can wait until next week I can pull together a list of articles and papers that might be of use, which I’ll share here.  There isn’t a great deal about music specifically - these services are still quite new (Spotify Discover is only a year old, for instance) - but there is a lot of stuff related to the idea. For instance, Jeremy Wade Morris’ ‘Curation by Code’ article (http://ecs.sagepub.com/content/18/4-5/446.short) is worth a look. Very quickly, there are two decent non-academic articles about how Spotify Discover works that I’ve found useful - particularly in terms of looking at how these services are framed in terms of industry rhetoric: http://qz.com/571007/the-magic-that-makes-spotifys-discover-weekly-playlists-so-damn-good/ . I’ve also written a public-facing, non-academic piece on my project website that takes a broad look at this http://harkive.org/can-algorithms-make-you-cry/

Hope this is useful in the meantime, but I’ll do something a little more structured next week when I’m back in the office

Kind regards
Craig