[Air-L] irb approach to data like panama papers / wikileaks / etc?

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:57:54 PDT 2016

Thank you to all of you who reached out to me with your thoughts and
experiences or connected me with others who did. I ended up with so much
great material I ended up pulling it all together into a column to start
with while I digest into a broader study:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/06/17/are-research-ethics-obsolete-in-the-era-of-big-data/

In particular, the range of responses I got from researchers both in the US
and abroad was quite eye opening, as were NSF's comments that one must
submit a formal FOIA request to receive any IRB approval information it
holds on an award.  The differences I heard from older versus younger
faculty, even within the same department at the same institution and same
field of study were also quite striking and suggests further research is
needed on whether young faculty, growing up in the share-everything world
of today are potentially going to reshape how we view research ethics
moving forward.

Anyways, thanks again to all of you who responded!

~Kalev