[Air-L] female gendered AIs and chat bots

Winifred Poster wrposter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:11:31 PDT 2016

Hi Caroline,

Did you see this article in today’s Atlantic:  "Why Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names?"
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/03/why-do-so-many-digital-assistants-have-feminine-names/475884/

I also have a chapter discussing the gendering (and nationalizing) of AI and bots, “The Virtual Receptionist with a Human Touch:  Opposing Pressures of Digital Automation and Outsourcing in Interactive Service” in my forthcoming book with Marion Crain and Miriam Cherry, Invisible Labor.
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520286405

Winnie
Dr. Winifred R. Poster
International Studies/International Affairs Program
Washington University, St. Louis
Campus Box 1085
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130