[Air-L] Reminder: Kevin Driscoll & Lana Swartz April 1, talk in Aarhus

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 03:27:42 PDT 2016

Hi All,

with the usual apologies for crossposting, here's a reminder of the
upcoming lecture by fellow AoIR members Kevin Driscoll & Lana Swartz, who
are visiting Aarhus University from Microsoft Research New England. If
you're in the area, drop by for their talk this Friday!

Friday April 1, 2016
14:00-16:00, INCUBA building, Large Auditorium
Aarhus University, Aabogade 15, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark

*Title: Reinventing the past and future of taken-for-granted media
infrastructures*

*Abstract: *The stories that we tell about the past shape our expectations
for the future. The media infrastructures that undergird our everyday lives
are sustained by origin stories and tales about the past. Well-known
narratives about the origin of our media ecologies tend to feature
particular people, places, technologies, and institutions while obscuring
the contributions of others. In particular, this lecture will focus on
technologies-- payment systems and social media-- that most of us use many
times a day without giving them much thought. By interrogating the myths
around these taken-for-granted systems, we bring alternative narratives to
the surface. Amid the messy terrain of dead ends, paths-not-taken, and
missed opportunities, a space of possibility is opened for imagining new
futures.

*Lana Swartz* (Ph.D., University of Southern California) is a postdoctoral
researcher at Microsoft Research New England, a fellow at the Berkman
Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, and, beginning Fall
2016, an assistant professor of Media Studies at the University of
Virginia. Most of her research is about money and other communication
technologies. She has written about the complicated politics of Bitcoin,
the history of the credit card, and perpetually emergent cashless society.

*Kevin Driscoll* (Ph.D., University of Southern California) is a
postdoctoral researcher at Microsoft Research New England. His research
concerns the popular and political cultures of networked personal computing
with special attention to myths about internet infrastructure. He recently
completed a dissertation tracing the pre-history of social media through
the dial-up bulletin board systems of the 1980s and 1990s. Currently, he is
writing a cultural history of Minitel.

http://cc.au.dk/…/friday-lecture-reinventing-the-past-and-…/
<http://cc.au.dk/en/news-and-events/event/artikel/friday-lecture-reinventing-the-past-and-future-of-taken-for-granted-media-infrastructures/>

14:00-16:00, Friday, April 1, 2016
Store Auditorium, INCUBA, Aarhus University, Aabogade 15

Best Regards,

annette
Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Professor MSO, School of Communication & Culture, Aarhus University
Affiliate Professor, School of Communication, Loyola University, Chicago
amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/
Twitter: annettemarkham