[Air-L] female gendered AIs and chat bots

Andrea Guzman alguzman at niu.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:59:02 PDT 2016

Hello Caroline and others,

I have several works that may be of use to you as well as other suggestions.

My chapter "Making AI Safe for Humans: A Conversation with Siri" in Robert Gehl and Maria Bakardjieva's forthcoming book, Socialbots: Digital Media and the Automation of Sociality, argues that Siri's gender is a key component in establishing the communicative face of a faceless program.

My dissertation "Imagining the Voice in the Machine: The Ontology of Digital Social Agents" focused on people's conceptualizations of Siri, Google Voice Search and other voice-based, AI technologies, and gender was an integral aspect of people's interpretations of these agents.

There is an extensive body of research regarding both voice-based chatbots as well as embodied chatbots in the HCI literature. Lucy Suchman's "Human-Machine Reconfigurations" addresses the gendered design of chatbots as well as the gendered nature of technology and AI. Chun's (2012) "Programmed Visions" focuses on software, including its gendered aspects. Regarding voice-based technologies more generally, you may want to start with Nass and Brave's "Wired for Speech" that discusses people's reactions to programs with female voices.

If you or anyone else would like more information or copies of my work, you are welcome to contact me directly.

Good luck,

Andrea

_____
Andrea L. Guzman, Ph.D.