[Air-L] PhD Thesis - Virtually Real:Being in Cyberspace

Morgan Leigh morgan at wirejunkie.com
Thu Mar 3 18:09:21 PST 2016

Greetings Sharon,
Thank you for your question. The main difference is in method. Nardi's
book is an ethnography while mine is an autoethnography. This may seem a
subtle distinction, but in fact there is a world of difference. I
proceed from the understanding that it is not possible to know the other
as one knows one's self, and that thus any attempt to study others is
necessarily limited by the filters of each person's reality tunnel -
that we don't even know what we don't know about others. Relationships
in cyberspace are perhaps the example par excellence of this, in
cyberspace no one knows you are a dog. This theme of unknowing that
becomes knowing is central to my work while Nardi proceeds on the usual
anthropological understanding that it is possible to know others by
studying them.

Nardi also proceeds on the basis that it is possible to remain in some
way outside a culture while studying it. She holds the traditional
anthropological position that the anthropologist must remain objective
and must not influence the culture one is studying, as she says, "As far
as I can tell, I have caused virtually no perturbations in World of
Warcraft...". My position is that objectivity is impossible in the human
condition as objectivity requires omniscience, and that in order to know
a thing one must become the thing. As I say in the thesis "criticisms of
subjective research often argue that 'cultural realities and
interpretations of events among individuals in the same group are often
highly variable, changing or contradictory' and that, as such, this kind
of research only presents a single interpretation of events rather than
a single, objective truth. I shall argue that this is in fact the value
of this method. Taking a subjective approach forces one to admit that
there are many truths and that we must know them all in order to truly
know reality".

As for platform affordance differences they are legion, and this is
revealed by the fact that Nardi is studying a game while I am studying a
world. As I say in the thesis, the main difference between a game and a
world is that, "games have defining features that Second Life lacks.
Most notable is the lack of victory conditions: there is no way to win,
or lose, Second Life. The definition of what constitutes success is
entirely up to the resident. Games have rules while Second Life has
Terms of Service and community standards. The free form nature of Second
Life and the ability of users to create whatever they wish are important
characteristics that set it apart from online games."

Regards,

Dr. Morgan Leigh