[Air-L] Video Game Research - Fair Use?

Patricia Aufderheide paufder at american.edu
Fri May 6 06:56:56 PDT 2016

Fair warning, US-tilted post ahead! :)
Thank you so much, Todd! Fair use is definitely part of the last (Sec. 107
of the Copyright Act). It was codified in 1976, after more than 100 years
of judge-made law. (For more detail [gratuitous plug], there's our book,
info in signature.)
If you would like help with students, we have a number of resources at
cmsimpact.org/fair-use. The latest code, with visual arts professionals
<http://archive.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/best-practices/fair-use-visual-arts>,
elaborated an FAQ, with some nice scenarios, too. As well, the librarians'
code <http://archive.cmsimpact.org/libraries> has good video and FAQs, as
does the documentarians' code
<http://archive.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/best-practices/documentary-filmmakers-statement-best-practices-fair-use>
and the journalists' code <http://archive.cmsimpact.org/journalism> does
too. One thing teachers like with the documentarians' code is the visual
examples of fair use.
BTW we are looking for good suggestions for what visual arts teachers would
like us to make in the way of curriculum materails...Survey opportunity!
https://american.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6FP1AJOdghEehrT
In terms of your presentation, our understanding (I'm not a lawyer, I just
work with them) is that you made it in the US, and people in the other
country (oh let's just say Germany, which btw is pretty good on user
rights) are just consuming this material/learning from you. You're fine.
OpenCourseWare people faced this problem when they made their code.
<http://archive.cmsimpact.org/ocw>They and their advisory board of
independent lawyers agreed that under today's international law, they are
fine presenting their material worldwide on the Internet for
consumption/use. People in other countries who want to take their material
and work with it to make something of their own will have to use the laws
of their country. The fairly used material is clearly marked, to
differentiate it from the CC'd material, fyi.
Fair dealing is legislated, but individual countries have tailored it very
differently within the Commonwealth. Canada's fair dealing looks the
closest to fair use. I hope others on this list who have looked at user
rights in the Commonwealth can give Todd more clarification!