[Air-L] Call for Volunteers: AoIR Technical Advisory Group

Axel Bruns a.bruns at qut.edu.au
Tue May 3 17:54:41 PDT 2016

AoIR is now calling for expressions of interest from volunteers to serve on our Technical Advisory Group (TAG). From time to time, the Association faces various issues relating to our technical infrastructure - including the AoIR Website, the Selected Papers in Internet Research (SPIR) site, our conference submission and registration platforms, our mailing-list, and the integration between these different systems. Members of the TAG will be asked to help us make better strategic decisions about our technology choices, and to support the Association Coordinator and Exec in addressing any urgent issues - for example to clean up and better protect our sites after the hacking attacks we suffer on occasion.

TAG members should have strong familiarity with technologies such as PHP, MySQL, Open Journal Systems, Wordpress, and/or ConfTool, as well as overall server admin skills. Experience in protecting Web servers from hackers would also be very welcome. AoIR is an almost entirely volunteer-based, non-profit organisation, so unfortunately we can't offer any payment for this work - other than the satisfaction of having made a significant contribution to our community. If you're interested in helping out, please email Axel Bruns (vp at aoir.org) with an expression of interest and some information about your tech skills and expertise.

The first major point of focus for the TAG will be our conference publication, Selected Papers in Internet Research (SPIR). As you may have noticed, SPIR is currently offline; unfortunately, the site has been hacked, and we are hoping that with the help of TAG volunteers we'll be able to bring it back online as soon as possible. In the longer term, we hope to transition SPIR to a more secure, hosted setup.

On behalf of the AoIR Exec, many thanks in advance.

--
Dr Axel Bruns                    a.bruns at qut.edu.au - @snurb_dot_info
ARC Future Fellow, 2014-17   http://www.amazon.com/author/axel.bruns/