[Air-L] Video Game Research - Fair Use?

Dan L. Burk dburk at uci.edu
Thu May 5 15:59:32 PDT 2016

Sorry, I just realized that this message did not go to the list:

Dear Benjamin:

Your .sig indicates that you are at Essex. I assume you are planning to
do the research there. Consequently, "fair use" is not relevant to you.
That is an American legal concept, which has been adopted a few other
places.

For the UK, you will need to look at the "fair dealing" provisions of
the copyright act, which is an entirely different approach. I would
guess that what you are doing, if it within the exclusive rights of the
copyright holder at all, would fit into one or more of the fair dealing
provisions, but you should check with a local expert (I would suggest
Graeme Dinwoodie at Oxford, or Lionel Bentley at Cambridge).

Best, DLB

--
School of Law
University of California, Irvine