[Air-L] Call for Submissions: Noise & Silence [Urban/Rural]

Marilou Polymeropoulou m.polymeropoulou at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:18:54 PDT 2016

With apologies for cross-posting.

Call for Submissions: NOISE & SILENCE Themed Issue 'URBAN / RURAL', Summer
2016

NOISE & SILENCE is an adventurous publication that brings you fresh and
informed pieces on issues facing all kinds of music and sound as
conceptualised in today's 21st century society. The project was founded in
November 2015 by Oxford University students, and our team has now expanded
to include graduates, post-graduates, and early-career researchers across
the UK. Our aim is to create a platform that bridges the gap between music
lovers and cutting-edge music research.

NOISE & SILENCE will relaunch in Summer 2016. We are currently looking for
submissions for our new, curated themed editions. The aim of these themed
compilations will be to provoke discussions and reactions to nuanced
discourses across disciplines. We hope this challenges conventional binaries
on popular topics of research through academic and creative responses.

Our current theme for summer 2016 is: URBAN / RURAL.

We're looking for a variety of submissions - visual, textual, and musical -
to create a rich, diverse, and interdisciplinary response to the theme.
These include four suggested styles of response: Keynote articles (1500-2000
words), Comment articles (shorter, more creative, blog-style pieces, 600-800
words), Lists (interpreted fluidly as playlists, listicles, photography,
artwork, or creative non-fiction) and Music (compositions, in various
formats).

KEYNOTE ARTICLES (1500-2000 words):

We invite submissions of accessible, academic articles. The aim for these
articles will be to open up debate, provoke discussion, and inspire
conversation and ideas. We're looking for informed, thoroughly researched
articles. Contributions should have a clear argument and show a sense of
opening up or contributing to a debate. These keynote features will provide
considered interpretations of the theme URBAN/RURAL.

COMMENT ARTICLES (600-800 words):

We also invite submissions of shorter, blog-style pieces. These will be
sharp, focused posts on a single specific point in response to the theme,
illuminating a particular viewpoint. We encourage the use of multimedia and
links to digital resources.

LISTS (upper limit 2000 words):

We're looking for a diverse range of creative lists, playlists,
thought-provoking listicles, creative non-fiction, artwork and photography
related to the theme 'URBAN/RURAL'.

MUSIC:

Send us your SoundCloud compositions, A4 scores (graphic or otherwise);
commentaries on your songwriting, music writing, and musicking practices.

The deadline for pitching ideas for URBAN / RURAL is 31st May 2016, with
final submissions due by 1st July 2016. In your pitch, please include a
brief biography or short CV, along with a preference of submission format
(i.e. a longer 'Keynote' article, a shorter, blog-style 'Comment' article,
or an alternative creative response).

NOISE & SILENCE continues to welcome other submissions outside of the reach
of the curated themes on a rolling basis. Please submit all queries, pitches
and submissions to  <mailto:noiseandsilence.magazine at gmail.com>
noiseandsilence.magazine at gmail.com.

The following theme will be: NUMBERS & LETTERS.

http://www.noiseandsilencemagazine.com

Dr Marilou Polymeropoulou

Research Associate

University of Oxford