[Air-L] Ethical guidelines for Instagram

Tiffany Woelfel tpw at uw.edu
Fri May 20 11:44:26 PDT 2016

Hi Maria, Meryl, Annette, Yukari and other members,
I am looking to connect with others who have an interest in the area of
social media and ethics.  In a past life I was a very successful study
manager who could recruit and locate the most difficult to find
participants (e.g. prisoners, injecting drug users, parents with open CPS
cases, etc.) and trained my staff to create work accounts on social media
for participant recruitment and retention. I then went on to be an IRB
reviewer and was puzzled by the aversion many IRBs held against social
media research despite the lack of federal regulations or guidance
pertaining to this issue. I'm now graduating with dual masters and
conducted a qualitative study with IRB professionals across the country on
this topic for my thesis.  Below is a YouTube link to a Town Hall talk I
gave where I shared preliminary findings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XywfWZCkr0

 I've also joined a new collaboration at the UC San Diego called CORE
(Connected and Open Research Ethics).  The CORE
<http://thecore.ucsd.edu/network/> initiative is funded by the Robert Wood
Johnson Foundation to bridge a gap between researchers using new
technologies and IRBs. The goal is to create a community of stakeholders
who can inform best practices that can help make the process of ethical
review for research involving emerging technology relevant and timely.

We are asking a few of our key CORE Network members to help with populating
the CORE Resource Library. We specifically need examples of language in
research protocols and consent forms that the IRB found acceptable with
respect to the use of social media. If you have any examples of that
language, or any other helpful resources, the attached directions will walk
you through how to share them with the CORE Network.

*If you have resources you’d like to share with me but don’t have time to
upload them yourself, please let me know.  I can also upload them and list
you as the source*.  Here are a few news stories to explain more about CORE
and a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upy5UrKACw4

http://www.bna.com/new-tool-help-n57982064115/

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2016-03-18-BRIC-program-for-educating-research-facilitators.aspx

I am also happy to connect you with the CORE team members who can best
answer questions you may have.  I have a Google Drive folder full of
articles I can share with you as well if you'd like and attached a doc with
lots of links you may find helpful.

*Tiffany Woelfel, MSW, MPHc*
 @tiffpage
CORE <http://thecore.ucsd.edu/> Member