[Air-L] CFP: CHIPlay 2016 Workshops (2 Days Left!)

Nicole Crenshaw crenshan at uci.edu
Wed May 25 14:56:04 PDT 2016

2 Days Left Until Workshop Submissions Are Due!

*
* CHI PLAY 2016: CALL FOR PARTICIPATION - Workshops and Courses
* Submission Deadlines:
* May 27, 2016: Workshop and course proposals, Student game competition
* July 15, 2016: Doctoral consortium, industry case studies, and
works-in-progress
*
* CHI PLAY 2016
* The 3rd ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play
* http://chiplay.org
* Twitter: #chiplay
*
* Austin, Texas
* October 16 - 19, 2016
*

CHI PLAY is an international and interdisciplinary conference (by ACM
SIGCHI) for researchers and professionals across all areas of play, games
and human-computer interaction (HCI). We call this area “player-computer
interaction”.

The goal of the conference is to highlight and foster discussion of current
high quality research in games and HCI as foundations for the future of
digital play. To this end, the conference will feature streams that blend
academic research and games with research papers, interactive demos, and
industry case studies.

CHI PLAY grew out of the increasing work around games and play emerging
from the ACM annual conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI)
as well as smaller conferences such as Fun and Games and Gamification. CHI
PLAY is sponsored by the ACM Special Interest Group for Computer-Human
Interaction (SIGCHI).

IMPORTANT DATES

STUDENT GAME COMPETITION
Student game competition submissions: 27th May, 2016
Student game competition notifications: 24th June, 2016

WORKSHOPS/COURSES
Workshop proposal submissions: 27th May, 2016
Workshop proposal notifications: 24th June, 2016
Workshop participation submissions: 12th July, 2016
Workshop participation notifications: 12th August, 2016

WORKS-IN PROGRESS, DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM
Paper deadline: 15th July, 2016
Review deadline: 5th August, 2016
Decisions: 12th August, 2016
Camera-Ready Deadline: 19th August, 2016

SUBMISSIONS
As a SIGCHI-sponsored conference, CHI PLAY will consider submissions
related to games and play. We encourage submissions on novel and innovative
game interactions and mechanics and acknowledge that contributions on
systems research may involve less extensive evaluation than more
traditional research papers. We welcome submissions from all topics in
interactive game research that are relevant to player-computer interaction,
including but not limited to the following:
- Game Interaction
- Novel Game Control
- Novel Implementation Techniques that Affect Player Experience
- Evaluation of Feedback and Display Technologies for Games
- Gamification
- Neurogaming
- Persuasive Games
- Games for Health, Learning and Change
- Exertion Games
- Player Experience
- Virtual and Augmented Reality Games
- Games User Research
- Game Evaluation Methods
- Psychology of Players and Games
- Player Typologies
- Accessible and Inclusive Game Design
- Novel Game Mechanics Impacting Player Experience
- Casual Game Design Studies
- Social Game Experiences
- Serious Games
- Alternate Reality Games
- Tools for Game Creation
- Developer Experiences and Studies of Developers
- Industry Case Studies

Although we are interested in papers on the effects of various
technologies, software, or algorithms on player or developer experience,
technical contributions without clear indications of the impact on players
or developers are not within the scope of CHI PLAY.

WORKSHOPS (4 pages excluding references in ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstract
format, workshop at the conference)
Workshops allow conference participants that share a common interest to
deepen their knowledge and meet in an interactive hands-on learning and
discussion environment. They provide great opportunities for
community-building at CHI PLAY. Workshops should focus on a theme in one of
CHI PLAY’s core areas mentioned above. We especially welcome workshops that
bridge the gap between practitioner and researcher knowledge or between
communities. Workshops should provide novel perspectives and generate ideas
about player-computer interaction. If you are passionate about this field,
please consider organizing a workshop. Workshops can independently from the
conference result in special issues of journals, wikis, websites, or books.

COURSES (4 pages excluding references in ACM SIGCHI format, course at the
conference)
Courses at CHI PLAY should allow participants to learn new hands-on
knowledge about player-game interaction, development and evaluation. They
are great opportunities for industry pros to teach their knowledge to an
interested audience and allow interdisciplinary knowledge development
between practitioners and researchers. If you work in game development and
are eager to teach a workshop at CHI PLAY, we look forward to your
submission.

--
Nicole Crenshaw
PhD Candidate