[Air-L] Tenure track positions at UW HCDE (Seattle)

Daniela Rosner daniela.rosner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:45:27 PST 2016

The Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) at the
University of Washington seeks up to two top caliber researchers and
teachers to join our growing and dynamic department in 2017. The department
is seeking applicants at the Assistant Professor level. Applicants must
have an earned doctorate by the date of appointment. We are interested in
candidates whose research is outstanding in quality and originality. The
specialty of the position is open; related areas include: Human Centered
Data Science, Engineering & Computing, Visual Analytics, Collaborative
Systems, Learning Technologies, Connected Devices, Tangible & Embodied
Interaction, Inclusive Design, Game Design, Research-through-Design,
Biologically Inspired Interaction Design, Human-Robot Interaction, Science
& Technology Studies, and Technology Innovation. We are also interested in
candidates who engage critically with theory and think globally in their
research. Our department has a core interest in research-based approaches
to design that place people at the center of activity.

HCDE is an interdisciplinary community that incorporates a range of
research traditions. We will consider candidates from a range of
disciplinary backgrounds who use innovative methodological and theoretical
approaches to address current challenges in human-centered design and
engineering. We expect our new colleagues to be engaged with emerging
research trends in their area(s) of expertise. Successful candidates are
expected to develop substantial programs of research including
peer-reviewed publications and external funding. Candidates should show
evidence of strong promise in teaching as well as scholarship. HCDE offers
BS, MS, and PhD degrees and is a founding contributor to three
interdisciplinary graduate degrees: the Masters of Human-Computer
Interaction+Design (MHCI+D), the Masters in Data Science (MSDS), and the
Masters of Science in Technology Innovation (MSTI) as part of the Global
Innovation Exchange (GIX). Candidates will teach undergraduate and graduate
courses and will supervise doctoral dissertations. The yearly teaching load
is three courses (one per quarter) plus supervision of research groups.
Teaching opportunities will be based on our current course offerings and
the individual’s areas of scholarly expertise.Successful candidates will
join a vibrant faculty conducting interdisciplinary research in
human-computer interaction and the design of sociotechnical systems.
Current faculty research includes work in human-computer interaction, data
science, health and behavior change, visualization, computer-supported
cooperative work, crowdsourcing, computer-mediated communication, research
through design, ICT4D, STS, engineering design, scientific collaboration,
infrastructure studies, emerging communication technologies, and
engineering education. The department is the home of dynamic, collaborative
faculty labs, and faculty members regularly collaborate with colleagues
across campus.

The College of Engineering regularly sets visions for strategic research
areas; current areas can be found here
<https://www.engr.washington.edu/facresearch/strategicareas>. Faculty
members also routinely engage in research projects with affiliates from the
region’s noted high-tech industry. Seattle is home to many prominent
technology companies, along with a robust startup and global health
community. The University of Washington is building a culturally diverse
faculty and encourages applications from women and minority candidates.
Appointment begins in Autumn 2017. *Review of applications will begin
January 5, 2017*.

https://www.hcde.washington.edu/employment

*Application Instructions*
To apply, send (1) a letter of application, (2) current c.v., (3) statement
of research and teaching goals, (4) up to three representative papers and
(5) and at least three letters of recommendation. Materials should be
addressed to Dr. Gary Hsieh, Search Committee Chair, at hcdefac at uw.edu.
Inquiries: Stacia Green: greens6 at uw.edu or Gary Hsieh: garyhs at uw.edu.

--
Daniela K. Rosner