[Air-L] Join our team at the Oxford Internet Institute: we’re hiring a Data Scientist / Data Hacker

Mark Graham mark.graham at oii.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 15 09:03:48 PST 2016

*Data Scientist/Data Hacker
<http://geonet.oii.ox.ac.uk/blog/join-our-team-were-hiring-a-data-scientist-data-hacker/>*

Oxford Internet Institute, 1 St Giles, Oxford

Grade 7: £31,076 – £38,183 p.a.

The Oxford Internet Institute is a leading centre for research into
individual, collective and institutional behaviour on the Internet. We seek
a full-time Data Scientist
<https://www.recruit.ox.ac.uk/pls/hrisliverecruit/erq_jobspec_details_form.jobspec?p_id=126297>
work with Professor Mark Graham on two projects: (1) the University of
Oxford funded incubator on ‘big data and human development
<http://bigdatadevelopment.oii.ox.ac.uk/>’, which seeks to understand how
we can address key issues in development with computational approaches; (2)
the European Research Council funded Geonet project
<http://geonet.oii.ox.ac.uk/> which seeks to map and measure the
geographies of the internet.

In this exciting role, the researcher will work with small teams from
around the university on short development-related projects. They will be
in charge of collecting data via APIs, web scraping, and collaborations
with platform owners, apply standard statistical analyses as well as
bespoke computational analyses to address questions of economic, social,
and policy relevance, and produce eye-catching visualisations of the
results. They will also contribute to the dissemination of the findings
through academic publications, reports, presentations, and social media.

The position is suited to candidates who have recently completed a
postgraduate degree in computer science, GIS, economics, quantitative
geography or sociology or other relevant discipline. Good programming
skills and an interest in economic development are required.

Based at the Oxford Internet Institute, this position is available
immediately for 12 months, in the first instance, with the possibility of
renewal thereafter, funding permitting.

To apply for this role and for further details, including a job
description, please click on the link below.

https://www.recruit.ox.ac.uk/pls/hrisliverecruit/erq_
jobspec_details_form.jobspec?p_id=126297

Only applications received before 12.00 midday on Monday 12 December 2016
can be considered. Interviews for those short-listed are currently planned
to take place on week commencing 16 January 2017.
Mark Graham

Professor of Internet Geography
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford