[Air-L] CfP: SIEF2017 - Mediating everyday life: dwelling in a digital age

Christian Ritter Ritter-C at email.ulster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 04:30:52 PDT 2016

*Apologies for Cross-Posting*

Dear colleagues,

We would like to call your attention to our panel session at the SIEF conference in Göttingen, Germany. Many thanks for your consideration, we hope to see you there!

Kind regards,

Christian and Michael

Call for Papers

International Society for Ethnology and Folklore bi-annual congress, March 23-26 2017, Göttingen.

Please send proposals by November 7th at midnight.

To submit a proposal to the panel please follow this link<http://nomadit.co.uk/sief/sief2017/panels.php5?PanelID=5074>.

Panel Session: Mediating everyday life: dwelling in a digital age

Convenors

- Christian Ritter (Istanbul Studies Center, Kader Has University)

- Michael Humbracht (University of Surrey)

Panel Short Abstract

This panel addresses the interrelations between travel and dwelling practices among people on the move. We seek to better understand the mutual shaping of dwelling-in-travel and traveling-in-dwelling by comparing various ethnographic accounts of home-making practices.

Panel Long Abstract

This panel addresses the interplay between travel and dwelling practices among people on the move. The ubiquitous use of networked computers in homes transformed everyday lives. Digital technology has both opened up windows to entertainment, education, gossip, and networking while also ushering in new forms of surveillance that control everyday routines. Digital media connect remote people and places: we explore virtual travel and mooring in concert to unveil the everyday practices involved in the various uses of digital media at the intersections of traveling and dwelling. Specific everyday practices, tactics and histories revolve around dwelling and traveling (Clifford 1992). Dwelling-in-travel may include practices of homing that draw on decorative objects, cuisines, rituals and festivals. Travel-in-dwelling refers to the use of internet technologies, television, radio, phones and remote gift exchange while staying in a shelter.

The increasing circulation of people, objects, ideas and capital are anchored in (ephemeral) dwelling practices in private and public settings. This panel focuses on these practices and materialities of dwelling. Hotels, tents, refugee camps, night trains and recreational vehicles contain multiple stories of delayed travel, aspired destinations, routes, despair and stillness, which ethnographers can bring to light. Instead of artificially separating dwelling-in-travel and traveling-in-dwell, this panel seeks to more comprehensively understand the mutual shaping of both sets of practices. We welcome ethnographic accounts and theoretical papers on mobile people, including expatriates, refugees, exiles, long-distance commuters and life style travellers. How do digital technologies transform their practices of home-making? Which dwelling practices do they develop?

The paper proposal should include:

- title

- name/s and email addresses of author/s

- short abstract of fewer than 300 characters

- long abstract of fewer than 250 words