[Air-L] Suggestions for readings on web decentralization?

Emma Stamm stamm at vt.edu
Wed Nov 2 09:50:44 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I'm a first-year PhD student in an interdisciplinary humanities/social
sciences program. One of my research interests is the history of
initiatives, ideas and theoretical rationale for decentralizing the
Internet. To that end, I'm wondering if anybody could point me in the
direction of readings that address this subject — scholarly articles and
books are excellent, although more informal sources are welcome, as well.

I am specifically familiar with the possibility of using blockchain
technology to decentralize/distribute the web, a very current idea. While
this and other proposed "Web 3.0" developments are interesting to me, right
now I am specifically focusing on historical predecessors that underscore
the visionary potential (and possible pitfalls) of the notion of a
decentralized/distributed web.

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Emma