[Air-L] Lesson plans for teaching for a peaceful, diverse world that is safe for everyone

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:18:48 PST 2016

Hi All,

CC World University and School, planning to offer online CC (so free)
Bachelor, Ph.D., Law and M.D. degrees as well as I.B. high school diplomas,
in all countries' main and official languages, is Friendly-informed, so
will take a kind of unprogrammed Quaker approach to "Lesson plans for
teaching for a peaceful, diverse world that is safe for everyone
" in creating WUaS's own CC OpenCourseWare (and likely building on what has
been taught at Haverford, Swarthmore, Earlham and Guilford colleges, for
example, all historic Quaker colleges).

WUaS plans to develop in Wikidata (Wikipedia's 4 year old database
developing with AI, machine learning and machine translation) while
accrediting on CC MIT OCW in its 7 languages - e.g.
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/translated-courses/ - and CC Yale OYC. WUaS
seeks to become the accrediting Harvard / Stanford of the internet in all
countries' main and official languages.

As a wiki, anyone will be able to add course ware or resources to pages
such as this -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Peace_and_Social_Justice_Studies -
which will become more user friendly after we move into a new wiki.

Classes will occur in group video such as in Google group video Hangouts,
and in MIT UnHangouts.

WUaS is also planning wiki schools for open teaching and learning in all
7,097 living languages. Hopefully this all-languages' dialogue opportunity
among people who want to think together (with wik MIT / Yale academic
standards) will facilitate such peace-generation and learning as well.

Friendly regards,
Scott

http://worlduniversityandschool.org
https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 10:09 AM, David Stodolsky <dss at secureid.net> wrote:

> > On 10 Nov 2016, at 17.11, Joshua Braun <jabraun at journ.umass.edu> wrote:
> >

> >> Maybe this would also be a good time to bring discussions of
> >> pre-internet media and technology and their role in the years before
> >> WW2, or even earlier dangerous times, and to compare this to social
> >> media etc today?
> >
> > I'd recommend J. Michael Sproul's article, "Propaganda Studies in
> American Social Science: The Rise and Fall of the Critical Paradigm," which
> gives a great overview of the changing nature of mediated political speech
> in the pre-WWII era, as well as how critical and academic treatments of it
> evolved over time.
>
> This gives info on how much was invested in making sure the post-war world
> was not peaceful and safe:
>
> http://www.bmartin.cc/pubs/94BRgl2.html
>
> Science of Coercion: Communication Research and Psychological Warfare
> 1945-1960
> by Christopher Simpson
> Oxford University Press, 1994. 204 pp.
>

> For example, the US Air Force provided at least half of the budget of the
> Bureau of Social Science Research in the 1950s. Military contracts
> supported studies at this Bureau such as the vulnerabilities of Eastern
> European peoples for the purposes of psychological warfare and comparisons
> of the effectiveness of "drugs, electroshock, violence, and other coercive
> techniques during interrogation of prisoners."
>

> https://archive.org/details/For_The_Record_78_Interview_
> with_Christopher_Simpson
>
> https://archive.org/details/For_The_Record_93_The_Science_
> of_Coercion_II_Interview_With_Christopher_Simpson
>

> dss
>

> David Stodolsky, PhD                   Institute for Social Informatics
> Tornskadestien 2, st. th., DK-2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
> dss at socialinformatics.org          Skype/Twitter: davidstodolsky

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to
- PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
- World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.