[Air-L] Lesson plans for teaching for a peaceful, diverse world that is safe for everyone

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 02:42:36 PST 2016

PS
Let me also add that one of the most exciting developments over the past
couple of years is the increasing turn to virtue ethics and ethics of care
from _within_ the ICT design and engineering communities, e.g.,

Jackson, Damian, Aldrovandi, Carlo and Hayes, Paul. Ethical Framework for a
Disaster Management Decision Support System Which Harvests Social Media
Data on a Large Scale. N. Bellamine Ben Saoud et al. (Eds.): ISCRAM-med
2015, LNBIP 233, pp. 167–180, 2015. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-24399-3_15.

Spiekermann, Sarah. 2016. *Ethical IT Innovation: A Value-based System
Design Approach*. New York: Taylor & Francis.

Spiekermann’s implementations of virtue ethics in ICT design underlies
nothing less than the critical new initiative of the IEEE, "Global
Initiative for Ethical Considerations in the Design of Autonomous Systems"
(<http://standards.ieee.org/develop/indconn/ec/autonomous_systems.html>)

Zevenbergen, Ben. 2016. "Networked Systems Ethics." Ethics in Networked
Systems Research: Ethical, Legal and Policy reasoning for Internet
Engineering. Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford. <
http://networkedsystemsethics.net/>

Zevenbergen, Bendert, Mittelstadt, Brent, Véliz, Carissa, Detweiler, Chris,
Cath, Corinne, Savulescu, Julian, and Whittaker, Meredith. 2015. Philosophy
meets Internet Engineering: Ethics in Networked Systems Research. (GTC
workshop outcomes paper). Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.

This is to say: *contra* our tendencies to assume something like the
disciplinary equivalent of the Berlin Wall between the more technical and
more humanistic fields - these recent examples exemplify clear and explicit
incorporation of not only utilitarian and deontological frameworks, but
comparatively more recent ethics of care and (feminist) virtue ethics as
well.

And, if anyone is interested in the authors I mentioned previously:

Vallor, Shannon. 2011a. Carebots and Caregivers: Sustaining the Ethical
Ideal of Care in the Twenty-First Century. *Philosophy of  Technology*
24:251–268.

Vallor, Shannon 2011b. Flourishing on Facebook: Virtue friendship & new
social media. *Ethics and Information Technology 14*(3): 185–199.

Vallor, Shannon. 2015. Moral Deskilling and Upskilling in a New Machine
Age: Reflections on the Ambiguous Future of Character. *Philosophy of
Technology 28*:107–124.
Vallor, Shannon. 2016.  *Technology and the Virtues: A Philosophical Guide
to a Future Worth Wanting*. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

van Wynsberghe, Aimee. 2013. Designing Robots for Care: Care Centered
Value-Sensitive Design, *Science and Engineering Ethics, *19, 407–433.

Enjoy!

- charles ess