[Air-L] Facebook needs to open up its data to impartial, outside researchers

Luis E. Hestres luis.hestres at utsa.edu
Sat Nov 12 09:21:26 PST 2016

I strongly agree with Jeff. Facebook and similar social media services have so far escaped a level of scrutiny and regulation commensurate with their influence in (at least American) society. A system through which independent researchers can obtain data samples (with all the necessary privacy protections) from these services is the very least we need as part of a comprehensive regulatory agenda. I think such an agenda should include privacy protections, provisions related to stalking/cyberbullying, competitiveness protections, free speech protections, and other related issues. With the Democratic Party in turmoil after the election, there may be space to put such an agenda into its platform.

- - - - -
Dr. Luis E. Hestres
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249-0732
http://www.luishestres.com

Want to support our tax deductible nonprofit work by contributing to the UTSA department of communication?
Please visit: https://giving.utsa.edu/FriendsofCommunication
Thanks for your support!