[Air-L] Facebook needs to open up its data to impartial, outside researchers

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Sun Nov 13 04:12:24 PST 2016

This article from the NY Times shows that the there is a struggle within Facebook itself concerning the so-called "Filter Bubble" effect of the platforms algorithms and newsfeeds that may have affected the election.  This does not at all obviate the need for FB to open up its data nor does it address Robert Gehl's compelling argument that it might be best if we just stopped feeding the beast of our selves, sociality, labor, and value.  But it does highlight the fact that FB is not a black box and that the organizational corporate culture of FB is an important and woefully under analyzed factor in this issue.

Andrew Herman

The article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/technology/facebook-is-said-to-question-its-influence-in-election.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0