[Air-L] E-Voting

Chris Peterson chris at cpeterson.org
Mon Nov 14 10:26:39 PST 2016

Hi all —

I’d like to raise a point that isn’t countenanced in the discussions below (so far as I can tell). Making voting easier is priority for democracies, but how it is made easier seems to me to matter.

This may be my inner parochial New Englander speaking, but: I actually think there is something civically important about the ritual of going to a voting place, seeing your local community volunteering, people agreeing/disagreeing on candidates but still living together, feeling attached to / part of a broader deliberative body, etc, as opposed to an atomized individual who exists nowhere only to operate a mobile device.

Now, I realize that this opinion comes from a position of relative privilege, and that the analogue voting infrastructure disenfranchises people in any number of ways. My point, I guess, is that if we consider where and how to invest money and effort in expanding the franchise, I’d probably lean toward looking at local contexts and figuring out how to make voting part of a broader process of visible community deliberation as opposed to a narrow engineering-systems problem.

This is one of Morozov’s stronger points in his book on solutionism: that ‘liquid democracy’ or ‘digital democracy’ often elides the core principles of democratic theory, i.e. that political solidarity arises from respectful negotiation of mutually intelligible lifeworlds, and the balance between disenfranchising struggle and democratizing struggle is very delicate. In a world where we continue to see massive widening gulfs between subcultures and map/territory, whether and how these consensus/voting mechanisms are implemented technologically and civically seems like it should be a topic of conversation.

Best,

— Chris