[Air-L] Additional information about Fitness Tracker Swap

Jason Archer jarche2 at uic.edu
Tue Oct 4 11:00:47 PDT 2016

Hi again AoIR 2016 attendees,

Based on very helpful feedback from some members of the AoIR community, I
wanted to send another email with additional information clarifying the
purpose of the device swap we are trying to coordinate for XP-02.

The purpose of our session is to work as a provocation, a form of
interventionist aesthetics and media theory in action which underlines
tensions that researches interested in privacy and security can appreciate.
The sense of ownership of data related to our bodies is partially a sense
of bodily security. Undermining that criticizes both datafication  and
elicits bodily insecurity for those who have not considered the
relationship between wearables and our sense of self.

We wish to reflect on how this sense of ownership, possession and sharing
and our (dis)comfort around those acts reflect historical power dynamics
around social, class, race, and gender identities.

Swapping devices asks participants to question those relationships and also
interrogates our sense of trust in fellow human actants versus our trust in
corporate actors.

Hope to see you soon,

Jason Archer and Nathanael Bassett