[Air-L] UMD Journalism Post on Digital Media / Visual Communication -- Assistant or Associate Prof

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Mon Oct 3 08:44:56 PDT 2016

Hi, we are hiring in an area that I think would interest a lot of people on
the list. Please help us get the word out. If you have informal questions,
get in touch! I am the search chair. Sarah Oates soates at umd.edu

full ad is here https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/46536
 but I will paste highlights below

The Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland
College Park invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professor
in Digital Media, with an emphasis on visual communication, to start in
August 2017. We seek a scholar with a strong commitment to
interdisciplinary research and excellence in teaching visual communication,
including data visualization, design (including interaction design), visual
media, virtual/augmented reality, and/or video storytelling. We are
particularly interested in scholars whose work employing quantitative
methods seeks to improve and advance journalistic practices and
sustainability. The successful candidate will be able to translate research
into teaching of journalistic practice to undergraduate and master’s
students, as well as supervise Ph.D. students in Journalism Studies, and
secure external research funding.

The Philip Merrill College of Journalism is dedicated to training excellent
journalists and producing world-leading research in the field of Journalism
Studies. Our college is a
limited-enrollment program at the University of Maryland and our
high-achieving undergraduates and master’s students have an outstanding
record of gaining jobs in the profession. In the past 10 years, 80 percent
of our Ph.D. graduates have secured tenure-track jobs or are employed in
the
media or government agencies. As the most prominent journalism program in
the Washington area, we provide students with unparalleled access to
professional and research opportunities.
Ph.D. at date of hire strongly preferred. As a multi-disciplinary college,
Merrill has professors with doctoral degrees ranging from American Studies
to Computer Science. Our primary interest is whether
the candidate’s research is related to journalism and the fields outlined
above. Previous teaching and/or mentoring experience is preferred, as well
as a demonstrated track record of external research/project funding.

[...]

professional and research opportunities.full ad is here
https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/46536

--
Sarah Oates
Professor and Senior Scholar