[Air-L] New PhD Program in Technology and Humanities at Illinois Tech

Libby Hemphill libbyh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 09:01:17 PDT 2016

 I’m looking for PhD students interested in studying how citizens use
social media to bring about social change in their communities to join
the Collaboration
and Social Media Lab <http://casmlab.org> at Illinois Tech. We’re currently
studying hyperlocal social networks, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and
related social media platforms in order to understand social media's role
in civic engagement and to reduce cyberbullying. We use interviews,
participatory design, machine learning, and natural language processing in
our research. Students in the lab will enroll in the PhD program in
Technology and Humanities
<http://humansciences.iit.edu/humanities/programs/graduate-programs/phd-technology-humanities>.
More about the program is below, and you can learn more about our social
media and civic engagement project on the lab’s website
<http://www.casmlab.org/research/>. This project is supported by the National
Science Foundation
<http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1525662&HistoricalAwards=false>
and includes at least one year of full tuition and stipend support for
qualified students.

------

Applications for the PhD Program in Technology and Humanities at the
Illinois Institute of Technology are now being accepted! The application
deadline for Fall 2017 is January 31, 2017. Applicants interested in
research in any of the following areas are encouraged to apply:

   -

   Civic impacts of social media
   -

   Digital design and production
   -

   Ethics and technology
   -

   Games and gaming
   -

   Gender and sexuality in technology
   -

   History of technology
   -

   Participatory culture and social media
   -

   Rhetoric of technology
   - Science, technology, and society

The program is educating a new type of scholar - someone who will
contribute creative and critical work and advance the understanding of the
relationships between people and technologies. All students take courses in
the Humanities Department’s core areas of communication, information, and
media studies, history, linguistics, and philosophy and work closely with
faculty in multiple disciplines. To learn more about our department, visit
http://humansciences.iit.edu/humanities. Most students receive tuition
support and stipends through teaching and research assistantships.

Interested students should contact faculty
<http://humansciences.iit.edu/humanities/faculty> they are interested in
working with and visit the Graduate College admissions site
<http://admissions.iit.edu/graduate/apply?_ga=1.51920431.703649370.1445540042>
.

-----

Please circulate widely, and let me know if you have students who may be
interested.

Thanks,
Libby

--
Libby Hemphill
Assistant Professor of Communication and Information Studies