[Air-L] UCL Why We Post lecture steamed live on Periscope- today!

Major, Alison alison.major at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 24 02:58:33 PDT 2016

UCL Why We Post lecture steamed live on Periscope
Time: 1pm (London) / 2pm (Berlin) / 8am (New York)
Free to attend, broadcast by @ucl on Periscope

We are delighted to announce a live-streamed lecture about Why We Post<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-post> by Professor Daniel Miller that may be of interest to members of this list.  This UCL lecture will be live-streamed around the world next week on the Periscope platform, in the first partnership of its kind with a UK university.

The lecture, taking place on Monday 24 October at 1pm (BST), will be given by UCL Press author Professor Daniel Miller (UCL Anthropology) as part of the MSc programme in Digital Anthropology<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/studying/msc-digital-anthropology>.

Available for iOS and Android devices, the Periscope live-streaming video app gives everyone the ability to share and watch live broadcasts from their mobile phone, enabling interactive two-way communications between broadcaster and viewer in real time. During a live stream, viewers can connect directly with the broadcaster by sending messages or sharing their support by tapping the screen to send Hearts. The app was acquired by Twitter in early 2015, shortly after it was launched.

This will be the first academic lecture to be Periscoped in partnership with a university and is based on findings from the 'Why We Post' research project<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-post> - which investigated how social media is used around the world.

This landmark project saw nine UCL anthropologists each spend 15 months living in eight countries in communities as varied as an English village, a factory town in North China, and a community on the Turkish-Syrian border. Each team member conducted in-depth analysis into how the local populations behave and interact across social media channels and how these platforms are impacting on the way we live our lives, with the findings available via a dedicated website with more than 100 films<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-post>, a free e-learning course (MOOC) on FutureLearn<https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/anthropology-social-media> and 11 Open Access books<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press/why-we-post> published by UCL Press. The course and website are available in eight languages.

About Why We Post
Why We Post is a project by nine anthropologists who conducted nine simultaneous 15-month studies on the uses and consequences of social media around the world. Sites included a factory town and a rural town in China, a town on the Syrian-Turkish border, low income settlements in Brazil and Chile, an IT complex set between villages in South India, an English village, and small towns in Italy and Trinidad. www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-post<file:///C:\Users\Danny\Downloads\www.ucl.ac.uk\why-we-post>