[Air-L] advice on course readings

Gabriella "Biella" Coleman enid.coleman at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 19 11:31:42 PDT 2016

Hi,

So here are some recommendations:

Amazing piece on Usenet and early battles that led to establishment of a
free speech ethic is

"If I Want It, It's OK": Usenet and the (Outer) Limits of Free Speech

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/019722496129350

Early history of the Internet that juxtaposes 4 books on the internet to
come up with some more convincing arguments about the internet than each
book =

http://www.pne.people.si.umich.edu/PDF/ahrcwreview.pdf

Wizards, Bureaucrats, Warriors, and Hackers: Writing the History of the
Internet Roy Rosenzweig

Kevin Driscoll has also done some great work on early networking

http://kevindriscoll.info/

And there is an 8 part documentary on the BBS by Jason Scott that is
quite good

http://bbsdocumentary.com/

Big fan of Bruce Sterling's chapter on the BBS and hackers in the Hacker
Crackdown as well.

Maxigas is working on a huge history of IRC (but I don't think he has
yet to publish anything and yes, he publishes with only his first name).

Lucas Grave's piece on blogs is quite good

https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=view_citation&hl=en&user=zYci-JsAAAAJ&citation_for_view=zYci-JsAAAAJ:u5HHmVD_uO8C

The Affordances of Blogging A Case Study in Culture and Technological
Effects <http://jci.sagepub.com/content/31/4/331.short>

Finally Julian Dibbells piece on Muds, and a rape in cyberspace = classic.

All best,

Gabriella

On 2016-10-19 12:22 PM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org wrote:
> Re: [Air-L] advice on course readings

m teaching a graduate seminar for MS and PhD students called “internet and society” next spring.

I’m looking for good readings (book chapters and/or journal articles) on two subjects:
- history of asynchronous communication platforms (USENET, BBS, blogs, wikis, etc.)
- history of synchronous communication platforms (MUDs, chat environments, etc.)

--
Gabriella Coleman
Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy