[Air-L] recruiting students for the Intermedia Arts, Writing, Performance PhD // U Colorado Boulder

Lori Emerson lori.emerson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:10:24 PDT 2016

Dear all,

Applications are now being accepted for the University of Colorado at Boulder's
practice-based PhD in Intermedia Art, Writing and Performance. We would be
grateful if you would pass this announcement on to any students or
colleagues you think might be interested in our program, especially as we
are trying to continue building as diverse a cohort as possible.

The Intermedia Art, Writing and Performance (IAWP) unit is entering its
second year and is an interdisciplinary digital arts and humanities
research unit with a practice-based PhD. Located in the University of
Colorado's College of Media, Communication and Information, IAWP's core faculty
collaboratively investigate past and present forms of digital art, writing,
and performance and offer graduate students a hands-on, experiential-based
learning environment in which to explore emerging forms of creativity
triggered by practice-based research methodologies.

The research conducted in the program reflects the rapidly
transforming knowledge
systems and digital media economies emerging from the substantial technological
shifts currently taking place in our society. Digital creative work and
critical media literacy play a defining role in our information society and
are transforming all aspects of contemporary life, including the way many
professional visual artists, multimedia performers, writers, publishers,
digital humanists and archivists pursue their practice.

Traditional scholarly and creative work outputs such as the
single-authored print
book or conventional gallery exhibitions have already been challenged by
the emergence of multi-authored and/or hybridized forms of transmission such
as Internet art sites, electronic literature, live audio/visual performance,
multi-platform storytelling or transmedia narratives, software art,
interactive installations for public spaces, augmented reality, game art,
networked media activism, and innovative art applications for mobile devices
and tablets.

IAWP’s internationally-renowned and affiliated faculty network collaborate with
graduate students probing the significance of a digitally-expanded,
process-based
research environment located in a cluster of interdisciplinary research
labs. The program provides a flexible pedagogical structure that will lead
to the creation of new and hybridized forms of art, writing, performance,
scholarship, theory, design, curation, exhibition, and publication
appropriate for our current cultural moment.

The program concentrates its curriculum on digital forms of creativity so as
to cultivate cutting-edge investigations into the practice, theory, history,
and philosophy of media and its relationships to creativity, communication,
technology, and information.

Application deadlines:
International: December 1, 2016
Domestic: January 1, 2017

To find out more about IAWP as well as application guidelines and
program requirements,
please visit:
http://www.colorado.edu/cmci/academics/phd-intermedia-art-writing-and-performance

For more on the IAWP faculty, please visit:
http://www.colorado.edu/cmci/people/intermedia-art-writing-and-performance

Thanks so much for your help with this---

yours, Lori

--
Lori Emerson
Associate Professor | Director, Media Archaeology Lab