[Air-L] Reading list on (media) politics of visibility/invisibility

Julia Velkova julia.velkova at sh.se
Thu Sep 8 06:28:02 PDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

A very fascinating topic.
I have personally found very useful the works of Claire Birchall who has published vastly on the topic of the invisible and the secret. See for example her more recent articles
"Shareveillance: Subjectivity Between Open and Closed Data" Birchall, C. 19 Jun 2016 In : Big Data & Society.
and "Managing Secrecy” Birchall, C. 6 Jan 2016 In : International Journal of Communication. 10, p. 152-163

Taina Bucher has also written on the subject, see for example:
Bucher Taina (2012) Want to be on the top? Algorithmic power and the threat of invisibility on Facebook. New Media & Society 14(7): 1164–1180.

I have also adressed the topic in an article part of a special issue on The Economies of the Internet, coming out this October in First Monday, edited by Kylie Jarrett and Dylan Wittkower. I am writing in it about how open cultural production online produces both openness and secrecy and how both are tied to issues of power. I can email you the draft if you find it relevant.

Best,
Julia

Julia Velkova, PhD Candidate
Department of Media & Communication Studies
Södertörn University                                        Tel: +46 8 608 5149
S-141 89 Huddinge, Sweden                        E-mail: julia.velkova at sh.se
Twitter: @jvelkova
Profile: http://bit.ly/1N7WQWH