[Air-L] Article on the digital and the real

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 10:21:44 PDT 2016

Thanks, Tom, so much for your great "Coming of Age in Second Life: An
Anthropologist Explores the Virtually Human" (Princeton 2008) and your
engagement with my book, as well.

I looked up last July 2015 all the courses I could find that teach your
"Coming of Age in SL" and found one at MIT, one from MIT OCW, and one each
from Cornell, UC Berkeley and Brown, all of which you'll find here -
http://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2015/07/syzygium-harbin-
hot-springs-book.html - plus much more about my Harbin book thematically.
My "Naked Harbin Ethnography" book can be read chapter to chapter with
yours. And I hope to reach out to the professors above in these regards. Do
you know of other syllabi where your CoAiSL is taught? I'd like my book to
get onto university syllabi.

I've also added our chapter 1s to the amazing Pokemon Go Syllabus in GDocs,
in week 3, under "theorizing place" - https://docs.google.com/
document/d/1xYuozfkON-RVZQkr7d1qLPJrCRqN8TkzeDySM-3pzeA/edit?usp=sharing -
but these same chapters could be read in terms of the digital and the real,
where I examine the virtual and and the actual, as central themes in my
book.

Here's the new bit.ly URL for my academic and researcher-oriented Harbin
book - http://bit.ly/HarbinBook (with about 180 photos of Harbin) - where
researchers & internet librarians will find the DISCOUNT code.

All the best, Scott

http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html
https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Tom Boellstorff <tboellst at uci.edu> wrote:

> Wonderful news, Scott—congratulations and I am flattered by your engaging
> with my work! All the best, Tom
>
> tom boellstorff + professor + department of anthropology + university of
> california + irvine + website <http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/boellstorff/>
>

> > On Sep 10, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Scott MacLeod <scott at scottmacleod.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tom and AoIR,
> >
> > Here is my new book "Naked Harbin Ethnography" re virtual world
> > generation, with Discount code here -
> > http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html - for
> > https://www.createspace.com/6072369. (It comes into conversation with
> > your, Tom, "Coming of Age in Second Life: An Anthropologist Explores the
> > Virtually Human" (Princeton 2008)).
> >
> > It's also the first book published in the new Academic Press at World
> > University and School, planned for all 7,943 languages, with machine
> > translation. (World University and School seeks to become the "Harvards
> > of the Web" in all ~200 countries, creating major online universities,
> > and accrediting on CC MIT OpenCourseWare in 7 languages and CC Yale OYC.
> >
> > Click on the Harbin Gate link in Google Street View part way down the
> > book's main page to begin to visit Harbin online.
> >
> > All the best, Scott
> >
> > scottmacleod.com
> > worlduniversityandschool.org
> >

> > On 6/30/16 5:10 PM, Scott MacLeod wrote:
> >> Tom (and AoIR),
> >>
> >> Thanks very much, and fascinating!
> >>
> >> My ~550 page actual-virtual Harbin Hot Springs ethnographic book -
> >> http://www.scottmacleod.com/ActualVirtualHarbinBook.html (May 2016) -
> >> due out in paper soon (in a new Academic Press at World University and
> >> School - http://worlduniversityandschool.org/AcademicPress.html -
> >> planned in all 8k languages, with machine translation), addresses many
> >> related questions.
> >>
> >> I look forward to reading it closely, and re the "actual"
> anthropologically.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> Scott

> Digital Real” is now out in a pre-print version from Current Anthropology
> and is open access. Here is the link:

> written it to speak to questions of the “real” with regard to digital
> technology and culture. I hope you enjoy it!

> of california + irvine + website <http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/
> boellstorff/>

> > --
> > - Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
> > - http://worlduniversityandschool.org
> > - 415 480 4577
> > - PO Box 442, (86 Ridgecrest Road), Canyon, CA 94516
> > - World University and School - like Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
> > OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
> > California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational
> > organization, both effective April 2010.

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com
- Please donate to tax-exempt 501 (c) (3)
- World University and School
- via PayPal, or credit card, here -
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- or send checks to