[Air-L] New issue from communication +1: Machine Communication

Zach McDowell zmcdowell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 07:05:53 PDT 2016

*communication +1 *is pleased to present:

*Machine Communication*

*Edited by David Gunkel and Zachary McDowell*

With this special issue we explore the boundaries of communication beyond
the human subject and the restrictions of humanism by considering that
which is radically other – the machine. These articles seek to interrogate
the opportunities and challenges that emerge around, within, and from
interactions and engagements with machines of all types and varieties. By
examining the full range of human-machine interactions, machine-machine
interactions, or other hitherto unanticipated configurations, we believe we
have assembled a collection of ground-breaking essays that push the
boundaries of our discipline and probe the new social configurations of the
21st century.

*Contributors include: *

Zachary McDowell
David Gunkel
Andrea Guzman
Anna Nacher
John Novak
Jason Archer
Victor Mateevitsi
Steve Jones
Sun-ha Hong
Samuel Goyet
Cléo Collomb
Sandra Robinson
Lisa Tam
Rajiv Khosla

To the authors we extend our deep gratitude for their contributions. To the
readers we extend our invitation for input and suggestions. The following
pages begin a conversation we hope will continue. And it is to those whom
have spoken we shall turn.

For free access to the issue, and all of *communication +1,* please visit
http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/.

*communication +1 *is an open access journal supported by University of
Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication

* Editor in Chief: Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst
* Managing Editor: Zachary J. McDowell, University of Massachusetts Amherst

*Advisory Board*

Kuan-Hsing Chen, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Sean Johnson Andrews, Columbia College Chicago
Nathalie Casemajor, University of Québec Outaouais
Bernard Geoghegan, Coventry University, United Kingdom
Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University
Peter Krapp, University of California Irvine
Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom
Jussi Parikka, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
John Durham Peters, University of Iowa
Gil Rodman, University of Minnesota
Florian Sprenger, Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany
Johnathan Sterne, McGill University
Ted Striphas, University of Colorado, Boulder
Greg Wise, Arizona State University
best

Zach

Zachary J. McDowell, PhD
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Postdoctoral Fellow, National Center for Digital Government
Research Fellow, Wiki Education Foundation
Managing Editor, communication +1
www.zachmcdowell.com