[Air-L] AoIR 2016 Conference Code of Conduct

Unger, Johann j.unger at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 14:11:47 PDT 2016

Dear Sava,

I think your call for a code of conduct certainly merits consideration - but in my view it's not something that should be done hastily two weeks before the conference. I say this for two reasons:

First, as the blog you shared suggests, it is difficult to come up with a set of guidelines and form of words that meets everyone's needs. For instance the phrase in the example given: "use of sexual or discriminatory imagery, comments, or jokes" seems at first glance to be something we of course would not wish to encounter at a conference, certainly not as behaviours directed at other attendees. But for those of us working on digitally mediated politics, online misogyny, trolling, etc., these may form part of our data, and a clumsily worded code of conduct could leave us unable to present our research.

Second, I have never been to a friendlier and more welcoming conference than the last #AoIR I attended, in Salford. While I support your call for discussion about the adoption of such a code, I think it is rather unfair to imply the organisers are being negligent by not implementing one immediately. It is worth remembering that even if a code of conduct is in place, people can behave in undesirable ways. The values of a community are about more than written codes and rules (a topic that will no doubt be taken up by a number of colleagues, given this year's conference theme!).

Having said that, I do hope your message will make everyone in the community think carefully about how they communicate and interact with others, especially in this intercultural context.

Best wishes, Johnny.