[Air-L] Journal of Peer Production #9 "Alternative Internets"

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Fri Sep 30 23:19:46 PDT 2016

Journal of Peer Production #9 "Alternative Internets"

The Journal of Peer Production editorial team is delighted to announce our latest release, JoPP #9, "Alternative Internets" edited by Félix Tréguer, Panayotis Antoniadis and
Johan Söderberg.

As always, the peer review process - including original submissions, reviews, revised papers, and signals - is accessible.

The issue is available for free here: http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-9-alternative-internets/

>From the Introduction: The hopes of past generations of hackers weigh like a delirium on the brains of the newbies. Back in the days when Bulletin Board Systems metamorphosed
into the Internet, the world's digital communications networks - hitherto confined to military, corporate and elite academic institutions - were at grasping reach of ordinary
individuals. To declare the independence of the Internet from nation states and the corporate world seemed like no more than stating the bare facts. Even encrypted communication
- the brainchild of military research - had leaked into the public's hands and had become a tool wielded against state power. Collectives of all stripes could make use of the new
possibilities offered by the Web to bypass traditional media, broadcast their own voice and assemble in new ways in this new public sphere. For some time, at least, the Internet
as a whole embodied "alternativeness."

JOPP# 9 CONTENTS

Alt. vs. Ctrl.: Editorial notes for the JoPP issue on Alternative Internets
Félix Tréguer, Panayotis Antoniadis and Johan Söderberg

PEER REVIEWED ACADEMIC PAPERS

In Defense of the Digital Craftsperson
James Losey and Sascha D. Meinrath

Hacktivism, Infrastructures and Legal Frameworks in Community Networks: The Italian Case of Ninux.org
Stefano Crabu, Federica Giovanella, Leonardo Maccari and Paolo Magaudda

Enmeshed Lives? Examining the Potentials and the Limits in the Provision of Wireless Networks. The Case of Réseau Libre
Christina Haralanova and Evan Light

Going Off-the-Cloud: The Role of Art in the Development of a User-Owned & Controlled Connected World
Daphne Dragona and Dimitris Charitos

Gesturing Towards "Anti-Colonial Hacking" and its Infrastructure
Sophie Toupin

The Interplay Between Decentralization and Privacy: The Case of Blockchain Technologies
Primavera De Filippi

Finding an Alternate Route: Towards Open, Eco-cyclical, and Distributed Production
Stephen Quilley, Jason Hawreliak and Kaitlin Kish

EXPERIMENTAL FORMAT

Alternative Policies for Alternative Internets
Melanie Dulong de Rosnay

--
maxigas, kiberpunk
FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614 0901 7879 63BC 287E D166

In Solidarity with Library Genesis and Sci-hub
http://custodians.online

Share this letter - read it in public - leave it in the printer. Share
your writing - digitize a book - upload your files. Don't let our
knowledge be crushed. Care for the libraries - care for the metadata -
care for the backup. Water the ❀❀❀❀❀ - clean the volcanoes.