[Air-L] Discussion platform suggestions?

Alex Krupp alex.krupp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:28:13 PDT 2016

I run a small social network called FWD:Everyone (www.fwdeveryone.com) that
meets most/all of these needs. The site facilitates publishing email
conversations, either publicly on the web or else privately within an
organization. Here is a link that shows what one of the public threads
looks like... Clicking thread participants brings up their profiles, you
can see comments at the bottom of the threads, etc.

https://www.fwdeveryone.com/t/qzFKnR4GQC6UVtzgHulRFA/huffpost-artsy

We have some other academics using the platform for similar use cases,
because it allows administrators to email out a question or homework
assignment to their students. Then each student just replies to that
message, can have a back-and-forth with the teacher, and then upload it to
one of the private repositories within their organization.

One nice design feature for this use case is that while users need an
account to post comments or create profiles on the site, they don't need
any of that just to reply to an email and have it published within their
organization. This means that forgetting their passwords or having
technical issues isn't ever a reason for them not getting their homework
done.

The design is responsive for desktop/phones/tablets and it supports
attachments. Having admin tools to delete content within your organization
is in the API, and should be added to the front end within the next week or
two.

If participants ever decide they want to make some of their conversations
completely public, we have tools for automatically getting permission from
each message contributor in a thread, anonymizing users, making redactions,
etc. We're also an Embedly provider, meaning that content can be easily
embedded within your website or blog, or else within platforms like Reddit
or Medium. Here is a link showing what our embed looks like in an iFrame or
whatever:

https://oembed.fwdeveryone.com/?threadId=aY8lj4Z9Q0-C6Ol_Nl_UmA

Alex