[Air-L] visibility/invisibility

Gabriella "Biella" Coleman enid.coleman at mcgill.ca
Fri Sep 9 04:55:12 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-09 02:39 AM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org wrote:
> Hi Late to the visibility/invisibility train, but thought I’d offer the recent IJOC special section this year "The Management of Visibilities in the Digital Age” including pieces by Mikkel Flyverbom, Paul Leonardi, Cynthia Stohl, Michael Stohl, Clare Birchall, Shiv Ganesh, Jack Bratich, and myself.
>
> http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/issue/view/12#more4
>
> cheers,

Thanks for sharing, this looks great.

Birchall, Bratich and a few others were essential for my empirical work
on Anonymous (fascinating for they hyper visibility and invisibility). I
received a lot of hell/push back too about the use of secrecy and
obfuscation in Anonymous and ended up writing something about it
directly in an epilogue to the paperback:

http://gabriellacoleman.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/hhws-epilogue-extract.pdf

This piece by Jack Bratich was especially helpful:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09502380601046956

Not sure if anyone has posted this book as I have not read all
recommendations but it is quite good:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/obfuscation

And as usual the Annual Review of Anthropology can be gold for citation
and laying out problematics. Here is fantastic one on secrecy:

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-anthro-102313-030058

Biella

--
Gabriella Coleman
Wolfe Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy