[Air-L] Discussion platform suggestions?

Josie Anne Reade j.reade at student.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Sep 24 19:24:13 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone on this mailing list is able to suggest a third party discussion platform that meets the below criteria.

FUNTIONALITY: Allow group members to create a new post, comment on existing posts, add photos and videos/voice recordings. Allow administrators to perform all group member functions as well as approve and/or delete group members posts when necessary.

ACCESSIBILITY: Accessible on a range of devices such as desktops, tablet computers and smartphones (Android and iOS operating systems). Easy to navigate user interface.

PRIVACY: Discussion needs to remain private and only visible to group members via log in. Group members must be able to either create their own username or be assigned a username, without it having to be their full name or connected to any of their existing social media profiles (hence even though a secret Facebook group would be convenient and easy to use for participants, it is not suitable as group members are able to see each other’s names).

I am a research assistant on a project that seeks to use this method to elicit responses from a cohort of 530 participants and augment the project’s existing use of interviews and workshops.

I have looked at Reddit, Muut and Google Groups but they don’t seem to quite tick all of the boxes. Also in conversation with EthOS.

Any suggestions or tips welcome. Thank you in advance!

Josie