[Air-L] AoIR2016 experimental session- #Berlindatarace (7 October, 4-6pm)

Ariadna Matamoros Fernández andairamf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 03:43:15 PDT 2016

 Dear AoIR2016 attendees,
We are very excited to invite you to participate in our experimental
session on *Friday 7 October (4-6pm): the #Berlindatarace*. This session
will take you out of the conference venue and around Berlin, exploring the
city and looking to obtain the most points to win the Data Race!
*What is it?*
The #Berlindatarace seeks to disrupt how people share their lived
experiences within academic conferences by cultivating new and interactive
understandings of participant interactions, digital technologies and
places. For the Data Race, this new engagement with AoIR takes the form of
a data scavenger hunt that not only takes participants to iconic and hidden
places around Berlin, but at the same time facilitates teamwork and fosters
greater networking collaborations amongst the AoIR community.
*How does it work?*
The Data Race has two components: the experimental session itself (4-6pm, 7
October), and a Twitter-only aspect over the first two days of the
conference (6-7 October). All conference attendees will be allocated to
teams at the start of the conference by the race organisers (you are free
to participate or not to, though!); these details will be revealed at the
conference, and you will be in the same team for both components of the
race.
*Twitter event*: Follow our *@berlindatarace *account to find out about
social media-specific missions and opportunities to give your team extra
points between 6-7 October.
*Experimental session-specific event*: only open on 7 October, 4-6pm,
focused on the area around the conference venue. Using the GooseChase app,
teams will attempt to complete as many #Berlindatarace missions as possible
during the session (4pm-6pm on Friday 7 October). The missions feature a
mix of Berlin’s history, architecture, art, and pop culture, as well as
content that is AoIR specific! Each mission requires participants to either
submit a short answer, check in and provide geolocation info, or take and
upload a photo or video. The more difficult the mission, the higher the
point value.
The #Berlindatarace session itself will finish at *the lounge at the
Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG)* (see
http://aoir.org/aoir2016/conference-venue/). Each team is required to check
in by 6pm at the lounge. Teams can then mingle ahead of the reception at
7pm (or have time to get ready, as they wish!).
The team with the most accumulated points (including social media points
from the first two days of the conference) wins the #Berlindatarace.
*The winners will be announced at the AoIR AGM: 4pm, 8 October.*
If you are interested in participating, or just want to know more about the
event, we have posted information on our website (
https://berlin-data-race.github.io/ <https://berlin-data-race.github.io/>),
and follow us on Twitter (@berlindatarace)!
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Berlin!
‪Ariadna Matamoros Fernández, Katherina Drinkuth, Rachel Hews, Tim
Highfield, Felix Münch

*Ariadna Matamoros Fernández PhD candidate | QUT Digital Media Research
Centre *
Email: ariadna.matamorosfernandez at qut.edu.au
t: +61(0)466310915 | Twitter: @andairamf
Creative Industries Faculty | Queensland University of Technology